Monday, April 4, 2011

Day 3/4: Pond Rd to Rollaways:

I'm at a restaurant now off the trail on hwy 65, about 5 or so miles from the south-branch camp. Slept in a sweet shelter last night at Rollaways and made a raging fire to dry my stuff..had soaking boots, melted one of them. Yesterday was a long day; merged onto the main trail a little after noon: not as well marked as the 'old trail' that I was on and really narrow..more like a rut filled in with snow. Towed the sled/pack behind me again on snowshoes..heavy snow in the afternoon made the path hard to see; lost the trail a couple of times, especially in one section where nearly all the trees in the forest were marked with blue dots that up to that point had only represented the trail markers. Found my stride late afternoon and charged it to the shelter, chopped some wood and went to work in the stone fireplace. Cozy night on a picnic table. Hoping to make it to the south-branch camp today..short day today, it's damp out and the trail looks very slushy from the melting last night. Sketchy signal the past couple of days, I'll try to upload photos when I get to somewhere that has better service.

No comments:

Post a Comment