Thursday, March 10, 2011

Mid-March in Michigan

Mid-March in Michigan:

Today was wet. It's been raining frequently over the past 2 days, and the snow that's remained from winter's last comeback has nearly all melted again. Tomorrow we're supposed to get another 3-7" of fresh powder, making it the fourth round, after the near-thaws that have each foreshadowed the end of winter. I welcome it, and for me it's another opportunity to get outside and snowkite, especially after packing up my gear for the season. I like winter and when I had envisioned this trip earlier in the year, I hoped it would be in part on snowshoes and a sled. None the less, I'll welcome spring, whenever its time comes.

I decided to ride my bike for the first time this season, a quick 3-mile trip to the library, cutting through the forest trail that runs along the Clinton River. I told myself to take the backstreets instead, but habit lead me down it's same path, and I followed the flooded river on the trail onto which it overflowed. The trip proved to be useful (I haven't visited it since my feud over some $20 in late fees last year which I reluctantly paid off several months back); I had a book in my mind which I had come across last year, and as it turned out, was likely my first introduction/inspiration for the Shore-to-Shore Trail. Backpacking in Michigan (Second Edition) by Pat Allen and Gerald L. DeRuiter has a nice write-up on the "Michigan Shore-to-Shore Riding-Hiking Trail" (pgs. 55-64, including the north and south spurs) and a simple overview map (pg. 156) that includes the location of the established trail camps. The book discusses each segment of the trail (starting West-East), giving a brief history of the region as well as a description of what you can expect to see on that segment, and the nearby attractions if you chose to detour. It starts:
"The real attraction of this trail is its length and the opportunity it provides to say you hiked across Michigan. The trail is currently the longest continuous trail in Michigan...While not a wilderness trail, it is certainly an excellent scenic trail."
I happen to like the idea of getting to see the state, good and bad, from side to side. From experiences on segments in the Huron National Forest, this is a beautiful trail in the summer, though through it's length I am sure you will also encounter some unflattering parts of the state:
"You will have to accept hiking sections along gravel, dirt, or paved roads, as well as forest two-track roads. These two-tracks enable you to walk alongside your hiking companions for conversation."
That's a nice way to put it, but I actually do like hiking the two-tracks and seldom run into a car or another person even in the busy season of summer...

The Real Surprise...

...was when I got home and checked the mailbox. Both maps (see Maps! write-up) came in the mail today! An envelope from the Huron Shores Ranger Station in Oscoda and one from the Michigan Trail Riders Association both contained their own surprises, some good, some not so great. (To be continued...)

No comments:

Post a Comment