Thursday, March 3, 2011

Maps!

I woke up this morning with a call from the Michigan Trail Riders Association, they are the group of horse riders that currently manages (and owns?) the Shore-to-Shore trail, though their website is far from informational to anyone looking to hike the trail. The call was regarding my request for maps...

Now, for anyone that has seriously thought about hiking this trail, I'm sure you have come to the same frustrating conclusion that I came to in the Fall of 2010 when I first looked into backpacking the trail: there are no decent trail maps available anywhere on the Internet, and seemingly even less accounts of people who have actually hiked it. (Here is a the best write-up I have been able to find regarding the trail. It offers some first-hand insight from a hike in 2010)
The staff member from the MTRA was very nice, and mentioned that although she has talked to a lot of hikers about obtaining maps, none have come back with any information from their hike. A $10 cheque is going in the mail, and I should have a start.

If you would like to get in contact with them:


989-473-3205

Chris Rayner, Sec/Treas

Michigan Trail Riders Assoc.
5806 E. State Rd.
Hale, MI 48739


Another Option

Having spent a considerable amount of time in the Huron National Forest (basically every weekend in the summer of 2009) I got to know the forest pretty well. It's how I first heard of the trail, though at the time I did not give it much thought. However, on visits to the Lumberman's Monument visitor center, I remember coming across a small envelope of maps marking (vaguely) the course of the trail. The packet sells for $4. Looking through the maps at the time I assumed there had to be a more detailed approach and decided to save my money. I'll change my mind, and send them a cheque as well to compare between the only two options I have seen.

The Forest Service also has a webpage dedicated to AuSable portion of the "Shore-to-Shore State Horse Trail" and mentions that the trail is also open to hikers.
In about a week I hope to get the Maps in and start on the route planning... 'Till then, time to start working on the pack....

No comments:

Post a Comment